This grilled cheesy avocado is a perfect snack if you are trying to cut out sugar from your diet. The healthy fats such as avocado provide high satiety and yield balanced blood sugar levels, therefore prevent cravings. The ‘cheesy’ part can be substituted for vegan cheese if you wish.
- 1 avocado
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (Tabasco or Mexican)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper
1. Slice the avocado in half and remove the stone. Prick all over with a fork, or cut criss-cross patterns with a knife. This allows the sauce to penetrate the flesh.
2. Pour the sauce over each half, then top with lime juice and salt and pepper.
3. In the cavity where the stone has been, put a fourth of the cheese on each avocado half. Place under the hot grill for 2 minutes.
4. Top with remaining cheese and grill (broil for Americans!) for another 2 minutes until completely melted and avocado warmed through.
Eat hot with a wedge of lime and hot sauce on the side!
For those with lactose intolerance – use Haloumi cheese. Alternatively other cheese types that are aged for long periods of time and are likely to have very small or non-measurable levels of lactose include:
- Parmigiano-Reggiano (typically aged 12-24 months)
- Grana Padano (typically aged 12-20 months)
- Mimolette (typically aged 22 months)
- Roomano (typically aged 3-4 years)
For vegans: use either nut cheese (such as almond cheese) or Vegan Cheese Sauce made with nutritional yeast.