Gotta love a juicey burger right?
Not if it’s full of nasties, trans fats and loads of unnecessary calories. This healthy turkey burger recipe is not doing your body good, but also going to please your taste buds. It is made of only lean ground turkey and spices, and with the added tumeric, it also offers many health benefits including anti-inflammatory, anti-carcinogenic and anti-cancer.
These make a perfect mid-week lunchbox snack as well. You can also freeze them for later use.
Ingredients: (makes 6 patties)
- 500g lean turkey (or chicken) mince
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 celery stalk, finely diced
- 1 cup baby spinach, chopped
- 1/2 bunch parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoon tamari soy sauce
- pinch of cayenne pepper (if you like it spicy)
- 1/2 tsp salt & pepper
- 1 tsp tumeric
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds (for the crust)
* To make your own lean mince, place the turkey breast in a food processor or a high power blender like the Vitamix, and process until you achieve a mince consistency.
To make life easier I like to use a food processor to chop up the veggies, but if you don’t have one just chop them up very finely.
- Saute the onion, celery and carrot in a pan with 1 tsp coconut oil until soft and brown. Set aside.
- Combine vegetables with parsley and chopped watercress leaves.
- Add the mince, season with tamari soy sauce.
- Either mix together well with a fork or combine in the food processor.
- Form into 6 palm-size patties and refrigerate for 2 hours to allow mix to firm up.
- Lightly coat them with sesame seeds.
- Cook them in a pan, over low heat with a little coconut or olive oil for 5 minutes each side until cooked through.
For a low-carb option, serve it wrapped in iceberg lettuce, or if you are not watching your carb intake, serve on a wholegrain or Ezekiel bun with salad greens, alfalfa, tomatoes and smashed avocado.
To make the Smashed Avocado whisk with a fork:
- 1 avocado, 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2-3 tbsp water (add more if you want it more runny)
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- salt & pepper to taste
- option: Mix in 20g feta cheese