I made this cake over the weekend as a birthday cake and it was a great success to say the least. There were no crumbs left over…
Im not big on baking as such, I usually just make raw desserts because they are quicker and so much better for you. This one on the other hand is quick to make, all you have to do is put everything into the food processor, then pour it into the cake thin.
Shake n bake baby!
- 1 whole orange
- 1/2 cup ( 160 g) pure organic maple syrup
- 3 organic/ free range eggs
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 cups ground walnuts or almonds (200 g )
- 1/2 cup good quality dark cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or extract
- Preheat oven to 165 C
- Steam the orange for about 60 minutes until soft.
- Cool then chop them up (with skin and everything) and place into a food processor or a good high performance blender like a Vitamix.
- Process all the orange until smooth along with the maple syrup and salt, vanilla then add the eggs and process again.
- Pour the mix into a bowl and fold in the chopped walnuts, cocoa and cinnamon.
- Spoon into a 15 cm baking tin lined with greaseproof paper at the base and sides.
- Bake for about 50 - 60 minutes until cooked through.
- Test with a skewer to check. The cake should be lovely and moist inside – a little fudge like.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely then remove from the tin.
- Store for 1 week covered in the fridge.
Nutritional info per serve:
Total fat: 20 g
Saturated: 2.3 g
Fibre: 2.4 g
Carbs: 17 g
Sugars: 14 g
I covered it with chocolate fudge made of 2-3 tbsp cashew nut butter, 1 tbsp cacao powder and 1 tbsp mayple syrup (vanilla bean paste optional) and served it with fresh strawberries.
For the reccipe thanks to Treresa Cutter