- 1.6kg whole chicken (preferably organic free range)
- 20g ghee (1)
- 3 tbsp olive oil for drizzling
- Himalayan salt & fresh cracked pepper
- 5 springs of fresh rosemary or 1 tbsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp chili flakes and 1/2 tsp tumeric (optional)
- 4 cloves of garlic crushed + 3-4 to roast
- 1 large sweet potato, unpeeled cut to 3cm (1″) chunks (optional)
- 1 beetroot peeled, cut to 1cm chunks (optional)
- Preheat oven to 200°C (400°F).
- Combine melted butter, crushed garlic, salt, pepper, chili in a small bowl. (There should only be enough oil to form a spreadable garlic paste.)
- Using kitchen scissors cut down the backbone of the chicken and remove, then press firmly on the breast to flatten.
- Line a large baking tray with baking paper or alu foil and sprinkle the rosemary on the surface.
- Loosen the skin and rub the garlic butter underneath the skin and place the whole chicken on the top of the rosemary covered baking paper. Place the cut up veggies around the chicken, drizzle some olive oil on it, throw in the extra garlic and sprinkle with some more salt and tumeric.
- Bake for 45 minutes until the chicken and the veggies are cooked through.
I served it with a Kale-Apple salad & Honey-Avocado dressing!
(1) I use Ghee instead of butter, which is Clarified butter, because it hasn’t been through high-heat pasteurisation all the enzymes are still intact. This preserves all the natural vitamins and minerals and making digestion easier!