Just when you finally started to recover from all the sweet indulgence you had over the holidays, along comes Valentine’s Day, yet another excuse to cheat and eat outside your healthy eating plan. Wouldn’t it be nice if you could just savour this special occasion indulging on mouth-watering treats without the guilt? Good news! These 4-ingredient Raw Chocolate Hearts will not only help keep you on track but can also boost your metabolism, stop food cravings and even improve your mood! Sounds good?
When making these Raw Chocolate Hearts, you just need a coconut oil, cacao powder, cashew nut butter (or any nut butter) and cinnamon. Yes, only four healthy yet simple ingredients! A completely healthy way to satisfy your sweet tooth without any sugar or nasties.
Coconut oil has been a nutritious diet staple for thousands of years because of its healthy fat content. Medium-chain fatty acids (MCFAs) or commonly known as triglycerides found in coconut oil help stimulate your body’s metabolism, leading to satiety and weight loss. It can also improve memory as MCFAs are great for brain fuel. Lauric acid comprising 50 percent of coconut fat content is considered as a “miracle” ingredient because of its unique health-promoting properties acting as immune support making these Raw Chocolate Hearts a healthy treat for you!
Meanwhile, if you want to improve your mood, look no further than cacao and cashews! Cacao is a known natural source of “happy, feel-good chemicals” including serotonin and dopamine. Cashews contain niacin and tryptophan, iron, magnesium and B6, which can help in the uptake of serotonin (the happy hormone). Therefore it can be beneficial in improving mood and assist with anxiety, adding another great reason to try Raw Chocolate Hearts.
Make your Valentine’s Day indulgence with your loved ones guilt-free with these Raw Chocolate Hearts. But be mindful of moderation as these guys still contain about 85-95 calories, so watch that you don’t eat a half dozen and regret it later.
- 1/2 cup (each) of cashew butter and melted organic coconut oil
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder + 1 tbsp for garnish
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 5 drops of stevia (optional)
You will also need a silicone heart shaped (or other shape) ice cube tray or chocolate mould like this.
- Melt the coconut oil by sitting it over a pan of barely simmering water (a bain marie), stirring occasionally.
- Whisk in the cinnamon, stevia if used, cacao powder and cashew butter until smooth.
- Spoon about 1 tablespoon of the chocolate mixture into each silicon ice cube tray cavity. You might need a little less or more to fill it to the top.
- Place in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- Once they are solid, pop them out of the tray and sprinkle with cacao powder before serving. You’ll want to eat them quickly as they melt at room temperature.