Tumeric, also known as curcuma longa, is on of my favourite spices! It is a traditional Indian spice which has been used for over 2500 years. It has a wide range of antioxidant, antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties which is why it is often used in the natural treatment of diseases such as cancer and Alzheimer’s disease. It is also loaded with many healthy nutrients such as protein, dietary fiber, niacin, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Vitamin K, sodium, potassium, calcium, copper, iron, magnesium and zinc.
I aim to have at least 1 teaspoon per day, sprinkling it on salads, cooked meats and even stir it in with cooked rice.
- 1/4 cup organic tahini
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- Water (to thin out as needed)
- 1 teaspoon or more of Tumeric
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Dash of Tamari(1)
- Combine tahini, garlic, lemon juice and tumeric in a bowl, add a little water to make it more runny until desired consitency is reached, add salt and pepper to taste.
Serve it as a salad dressing, dip for veggies or spread it on toasted artisan bread. It can be stored in fridge for a few days.
(1) gluten-free, low sodium soy sauce