Vanilla Protein Muffins
I like these Vanilla Protein Muffins because they are quick to make and are beautifully moist. I love them as a quick afternoon pick-me-up or post-workout snack. They are gluten-free and refined sugar-free. In my books they are completely guilt-free!
These vanilla protein muffins are the perfect snack that fill you up without the sugar crash normally associated with store-bought muffins that are full of sugar. These muffins are free of refined carbohydrates as they are made from almond meal and not based on flour like most traditional muffins.
Almond meal is the perfect baking staple for those who are eating a gluten-free diet and who are watching their carbohydrate intake. Almond meal is completely natural – it is made up of only ground almonds. One cup of almond meal provides more than 100% of your daily Vitamin E requirement. The health benefits of almond meal are pretty astounding – most of the fat in almond meal is monounsaturated which is excellent for heart health. It also helps discourage cancer formation and helping in the management of blood sugar levels for diabetics.
The addition of protein powder means these muffins will keep you full and satiated for longer and are full of amino acids that can be used a re-fuel post workout!
Coconut milk not only provides the muffins with the delicious taste of coconut but it also full of saturated fatty acids that can help lower cholesterol levels, improve blood pressure and prevent heart attacks.
Blueberries are bursting with health benefits – just one cup provides 24% of your daily requirement of vitamin C. Blueberries contain a type of flavonoid called anthocyanin – it is this component that has the antioxidant effects. Blueberries are delicious and help prevent constipation due to being high in fibre and also contain a diverse range of phenolic compounds.
Vanilla Protein Muffin Ingredients
- 2 cups almond meal
- 30g of vanilla protein powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped
- 1 cup coconut milk (full fat is best)
- 2 organic eggs
- 1 cup blueberries
- 2 tbs maple syrup
- 10 drops of stevia
- pinch sea salt
optional topping: desiccated coconut
Vanilla Protein Muffin Method
- Preheat oven to 180° C (356°F) and line two cupcake baking trays with cupcake liners.
- In a bowl mix together all dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl mix all the wet ingredients (including the scraped vanilla beans).
- Combine both wet and dry ingredients and add the blueberries.
- Fill each cupcake liner to 3/4 full with the mixture. Sprinkle coconut on top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer you place through the centre comes out clean. Remove the muffins and allow them to rest and cool for 15 minutes.
- I liked them even better the next day, after they sat in the fridge overnight.
- Option: serve them with 1 teaspoon of almond butter or coconut yogurt. J
For more delicious and lean recipes like the Vanilla Protein muffins, take a look at my Lean Body Formula program.