Vegetarian Lentil Dahl
This lentil dahl is a super nourishing vegetarian meal that provides you with high amounts of plant-based protein and healthy fats.
I love this recipe because it makes 6 serves, half of which I like to freeze for those days when I don’t feel like cooking.
Dahl is a standard meal in any Ayurvedic diet. There is nothing more comforting than a hot bowl of nourishing lentil dahl. This recipe is perfect for when you feel like the colourful flavours of Indian food without all the heaviness of Indian take out. This lentil dahl is a protein-packed meal that is a perfect mid-week dinner option that is both nourishing and filling.
Lentils are the perfect ingredient because it is high in protein and relatively low in carbohydrates compared to other legumes. Lentils are part of the legume family and have an amazing capacity to absorb a wide variety of flavours. Therefore they are a great addition to add to stews and curries too. Although they are small, lentils are full of nutrition! They are extremely high in fibre – this means, they will fill you up and prevent blood sugar levels from rapidly spiking and dropping after eating. Lentils are high in both insoluble and soluble fibre, which helps prevent bowel disorders such as irritable bowel syndrome and also helps to keep you regular.
Lentils are also amazing for heart health as they are packed with folate, manganese, iron and magnesium. They also provide you with energy as they are a complex carbohydrate that slowly releases energy and keeps you full.
Keep it spicy – spices not only add an amazing flavour to this lentil dahl but have a realm of health benefits too! turmeric is a powerful anti-inflammatory spice that helps in reducing gas and bloating. Parsley is full of phenolic compounds and also helps regulate bowel movements and bloating.
Vegetarian Lentil Dahl Ingredients:
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbs ghee (clarified butter or olive oil)
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 tsp ginger grated
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 cup red lentils
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tablespoon or Herbamare herbal seasoning or 1 organic vegetable broth cube
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup sweet potato chopped
- 1/2 red capsicum
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 2 cups baby spinach chopped
- topping options: chopped parsley, coriander, hemp seeds
Vegetarian Lentil Dahl Method:
- Heat ghee in a medium pan and fry the onion, ginger, garlic and bay leaf until soft.
- Stir in the lentils, curry powder and turmeric and fry for two minutes.
- Add the water, the vegetables and coconut milk.
- Cook for about 30 minutes on low heat, stirring occasionally, making sure the dahl does not stick to the bottom of the pan. Add more water if needed.
- Remove the dahl from the heat and stir in the spinach leaves, cover with a lid allowing them to soften.
- Serve with chopped herbs or hemp seeds. (Leftovers freeze very well and make an easy meal).